Sunday, November 17, 2013

An Opportunity to Study

      “Do you like your current school?” This is a popular question that my friends and relatives who live in China would like to ask me. Obviously, I like my school, Harold Washington College, even though I will transfer to another university. Therefore, I would like to remember all those days that I have spent here. Harold Washington College was my first college in the U.S. which I could remember the first time that I got into this college, I felt it was liked a business building because it was very differences with the school that I studied in China. Therefore, the teaching method and atmosphere will benefit my education compared to my past experiences.

       The teaching method in the U.S. helps students become more creative. The classes in China that is the teachers stand in front of students, and send out their knowledge to students, they do not know or care about how much knowledge that students can be absorb. In addition, students cannot discuss questions during the class because it seems rude to the teachers. I am taking the ESL 100 class that is a huge different class with the classes that I took in China. In my current ESL 100 class, the sentence that I heard the most is “do you have any questions, do you agree/disagree me?” During my ESL 100 class, students can share their opinions loudly and discuss with teacher and classmates. Moreover, we had a book club that I have not heard before. We discussed the book that we chose and shared our opinions with others. Due to the teaching method, it has made me more creative.

       In addition, I love the equipment in my current school. In China, students are using hand writing for too many years. Teachers do not ask students to use laptops or computers to finish their homework, even for college students. Also, if a student has emergency that not be able to go to attend classes, she/he do not know what her/his homework it is, and she/he may lose her/his points. Apart from that, if a student wants to know how many points that she/he get during the semester, she/he has to ask her/his teachers, and teachers will show her/him results on paper. On the contrary, students can use my math lab, my writing lab and blackboard that are the useful equipment to do their homework and improve their skills in my current school. My math lab can show students how to finish the questions step by step. Also, students can post their essay in my writing lab, and they can receive the feedback after several days. In the same time, they can finish their homework in my writing lab which will point out their mistake and focus on their weakness to improve their skills. In addition, students can check their homework, how many points that they get during the semester and turn it in their homework on blackboard. This convenient equipment makes me love my current college in the U.S.


       Apart from that, the security system also plays the important role in my current school.  If someone wants to get into Harold Washington College, she/he has to show her/his student ID. Otherwise, she/he has to see the security guys, and they decide she/he can get in or not. Once, I forgot to bring my student ID to go to school, so the security guy asked me to show something to proof I am a student in Harold Washington College. Thus, I showed him my schedule, and he opened the door for me. Moreover, they have cameras in each floor, even in classrooms to make sure this is a safe place. However, most of the Chinese schools do not have such as security system. Everybody can get into the colleges that they do not need to show their student ID, and schools do not care about that. Therefore, I felt happy when I found out about the system of security in my current college.


       I really love my current school because of the teaching method, equipment and security system. Studying in such a place is like an ocean of knowledge to swim freely with my buddies, like the god brings us to move on. Therefore, I prefer to learn at Harold Washington College.  Moreover, I think a lot of students can get benefit from Harold Washington College not just me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment