Sunday, November 10, 2013

One Child policy


Tracy Chen
ESL100
10/25/2013

One Child Policy in China
        China has the biggest population of the world, which is 1.4 billion people.  Therefore, since the year 1979, the government decided to grapple with this population issue, and they instituted the “One Child Policy”. The policy forced people to have one child in the family because Chinese birthrate was exploding. My parents did not like this policy, and because of this policy I was the only child in my family. I grew up with a lot of loneliness, and my parents were afraid about paying the extra money if they have a second child.  For various reasons, my parents had decided to moved to America several years ago. Fortunately, with their decision our life has improved.

                         

         After the government started to implement this policy, they set serious punishments and fines, and people did not have the freedom to have a second child. If the family had more than one child, they needed to pay thousands of dollars in fines,and many were not very rich. My family and I were the one of the victims. Since I was born with loneliness and fear, I have always hated this policy. I didn’t have great friends to grow up with me. In China, people have a lot of cousins, but we still have a big gap between each other. For others, they might like to be the one child in the family because there is no one to grab their toys. However, I would have loved someone to play with.

                                     
In addition, my parents wanted to have a second child and to let me have great friends. They wanted to have a boy in the family, because it is a tradition in China. The boy is typically the head of the family. The bad news was my parents were afraid about paying the extra money for having second child. In China the economy was still not very developed and many people worked very hard for little wages. To raise a child in China was becoming harder and harder. In my mind, paying the punishment fee for second child was just like buying a baby. During the winter, I remember sitting at the table and staring through the window to see the kids play with their sister or brother to make a snowman, just because their family was rich to pay the money for the second child. I cried and asked my mom why I couldnt have a sister and brother. The answer was this is Chinas one child policy, and every family can only have one child. 

                                             
           After moving to the U.S, our life started to change for the better. My parents could have more freedom about having a second child. We had more power to protect our family. In addition, there was more protection for pregnant women. Unlike China, no one will force a woman to have an abortion.  I still wanted a sister because I didnt want to be the only child in my whole life. Several years later there was big surprising news for my family and me. My mother told me that she was going to have another baby. That was we have a new family member. I was very excited to hear about this news. 
The one child policy does not bother my family anymore. We have a better life now and I can share the happiness with my little sister and my family. Having a second child is not the only reason that made my family move to America, but it was still the best decision for us. After my little adorable sister was born, I did everything for her. I learned how to change her diaper, how to bathe her, and to be happy with her. She was like a little angel that brought happiness to our family. There are still tons of people from China moving to America and other countries because they want a second child. Maybe one day the policy will change and people in China won’t feel they need to leave in order to have second child.

  This is my adorable sister!! 


2 comments:

  1. Through your essay, I can see that your family was so lucky. Your dream could come true when you had a chance to come to USA while the one child policy implemented in China. In addition, your younger sister really cute! How old is she now? Do you ask for her permission when you posed her photo here:) She is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read the essay to the other Chinese students who wrote about the same policy in China which really heart the Chinese people. It's very sad.

    ReplyDelete