Saturday, November 16, 2013

Do You Believe in Miracles?

Debora Santos
Esl 100 CE
10/12/13

Do you believe in miracles?

    A miracle could be any beneficial event that does not pursue the laws of nature. It is a good word to define my family’s journey. My story started in 1964.In that year the military regime was implemented in Brazil. Brazilians tolerated the censorship and the suppression of the constitutional rights, while the democracy was vanished. Surprisingly it was during the dictatorship that Brazilian economy wondrously increased, creating jobs as never before. Historically this fact was named the ‘’Economic Miracle’’. Between 1970 and 1973, a thousand lives were changed. People could have a job anywhere, and eventually have a better life. Most of the Brazilian nation didn’t have enough to eat, so it was salvation for many. It was an unique opportunity that could change a life. My dad didn’t waste that chance. He took advantage of the economic miracle, which affected his future and consequently my family and I as well.


    First, my father made a hard decision leaving his family by themselves, and he moved to downtown. He came from a very poor family that constituted of my grandmother and her six children. After my grandfather’s death, my father became the head of the household. He worked hard to secure food on the table every day. During all his childhood he worked at a supermarket carrying products, but it didn’t pay well. The solution was to work more hours to earn more money. When this new job opportunity appeared in 1973, my aunties took the responsibility and supported my grandmother, because they wouldn’t have my father anymore. Also, it was a big challenge for my dad to move and adapt to the biggest city in Brazil. He lived his whole life in a small city where everything was so far, and the access very limited. Moreover, it wasn’t easy for a seventeen year old boy to get used to a place where people are always rushing.


    In addition, after a few years working in the capital my father decided to be something more, and pursue a career. Being only a simple employer in a factory wasn’t enough anymore. As a result, he enrolled in a school. Because he had grown up in a small city with no access to the big cities, many school years were lost. Consequently, he started to studying again from the beginning. However, this attempt only gave him more energy and strength. At that point, my father didn’t know clearly which career to pursue until a certain night. He was coming back from work in a late afternoon when a woman was hit by a car, he wanted to offer some help, but he didn’t know how. He was only a boy without any notion about first aid, so the only option was to call emergency. My father never felt more useless. Because of that event, he decided to go to medical college. Eventually he achieved all dreams that one day he thought would be impossible.


    All those attempts my father experienced contributed to form my character. I became a strong and determined person. I have learned how to survive in any situation, and never give up. For instance, when my parents got divorced, I was able to block all my pain and give the support that my little sister needed. I had to do same thing again, when my mother got really sick and was hospitalized for three months. It wasn’t easy or impossible to survive all those sad moments. Along with the strength came the determination. I am a dreamer. I believe that everything is possible. It doesn’t matter how hard the path is. People can do anything if they are brave enough. I never give up until I get my wishes. For instance I always had the dream to come to The U.S.A, so I didn’t stop until this dream came true. In my teens I always wanted to do everything my own way, but my mother always blocked me. I had a lot of fights with my mother, until I got my independence. Today she trusts and supports me in every decision.
    I do believe in miracles. I believe that nothing in this life is only a coincidence. Everything has a meaning. Everyone has a destiny which will guide us. However, staying stagnant without a purpose, on the other hand, will not take anybody to anywhere. People have to find their dreams and fight for that. I am proud of my father, for had fought and turned all the odds in his favor. I am thankful for all those lessons he has been teaching my sister and me. Despite the hardship after his departure, I am positive that my grandmother has the same felling that I do have as well. My family was affected in different ways by my father’s actions. Each one has a particular view from the whole story, but I believe that everyone has the same opinion about my dad. He is a brave man and an example that life is about choices. People can choose who they will be. My father chose who he wanted to be, and I chose be a brave winner like my father.
  






2 comments:

  1. I like your essay! It seems I reading a book. You made me want to unfold what will happen to your father, and happy to see that your father was successful in his decision finally. He really a good exemplar for you to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your hook! This is much much better compare to the previous one. If you work hard and do your best, your dream will come true. Then, that is not "miracle" that is your "effort"

    ReplyDelete