Sunday, October 13, 2013

Adapting to a New Culture


Adapting to a New Culture

The acceleration of economic development in the world has made many people think that the United States is one of the most reliable countries in the world. Therefore, people have always wanted to immigrate to the U.S.  However, in fact, not every person has an opportunity to settle down in United States. I was born in China, and I have been in the United States for three years already. Coming to United States has been the most important thing in my life. People always think that the United States is a place where everybody can accomplish their dreams, but the reality is difficult. In fact, adapting to this new culture in the U.S has been challenging.



Most significant challenge was the new education system.  I felt unaccustomed to the American education system when I went to school the first day. Perhaps I had adapted to Chinese education for a long time. In Chinese schools the students start from 7:30 to 11:50, and students have two hours break after 11:50. Therefore, students could go home and eat, or do whatever they wanted to do. After that, they have to return to school from 2:00 to 5:15. The students in China dont have to move to another classrooms. The teacher move to different classrooms. Conversely, American students have to move to other classrooms. As a student, I have experienced both education systems. Even though I gradually became accustomed to the American education, I still miss the Chinese education system because I was involved in Chinese education since the first day of my elementary school.

Besides the education system, I feel like I lack confidence most of the time, which is an essential factor to becoming successful person. I could go anywhere I wanted to go when I was in China. I could speak Chinese fluently and without too much thinking since I had been acquainted with this language for almost twenty one years. After I moved to the United States, I realized my confidence was gradually disappearing. As an immigrant, it is frustrating when you dont understand what the people say, or cant speak English fluently. Sometimes, I try to asked question of the teacher, but it seems like the teacher didn't quite understand what I was asking. In this situation, I feel embarrassed, and lost. That could make me lose confidence. I know will improve my English communication as time goes by, but its a struggle in the meantime.


Furthermore, I feel more separated from my friends as time goes by.  In fact, human being meet in our lives, but there are only a few that are true friends. These are the friends that I have known since my elementary school. They always helped me and supported me, when I were in big trouble. I miss the way we used to hang out and study together. We always played basketball and spent time doing whatever we liked after school.  Whenever we had an exam, we studied hard and helped each other out. It is difficult to maintain our friendships now that  we live in different countries. Although I could contact with them by the internet or phone, I still feel our friendship has gradually became more and more distant. 

In China, people always say “You gain some, and you must lose some.” Adapting to a new culture in new country will never be simple. Even though I have lived in the United States for two years, I still feel I haven’t adapted to the education and Ive lost some. Hopefully, I can find what I have lost someday.

5 comments:

  1. In my opinion that Chinese education is too formula. For example, teachers explain the mean point of the article in front of students, and students have to take some note. Students do not have time to discuss with their classmate. In addition, teachers will think the students are rude if you discuss with you classmate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Chinese, I don't like Chinese education because we have too many classes on one day, and we must have evening self-study class until 10pm. Even more, we have class on weekend. In addition, sometimes we will have a lot of homework to do. That's so terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew that china and Africa have same system of education, your essay talk directly to me. it seem like i am the one who wrote this essay. anyway our education is so different from america education. in america, the give you all tools, but in Africa, the give you a little and you have to find everything by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Korea, some of education is different with America education. Especially, move to another class room is different. We usually, stay same class until go to home. However, the study hour is totally different. We usually have to go school until 7:30 am and we can go home at 10:00pm, it is terrible time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Brazil we do have a different ecucation system. we can study in the morning between 7:00 to 12:20 or in the afternoon between 1:00 pm to 6:00

    ReplyDelete