Saturday, October 12, 2013

No Place Like Home

No Place like Home
     Believe it or not! Fasting is the spiritual way to clean your soul, heart and body. Fasting is one the most important duties in Islam. Muslims fast during the holy month of Ramadan every year from dawn until the sun sets. They cannot eat, smoke or drink the entire time of the fast. Ramadan has a substantial climate in Saudi Arabia, which is very different from here. I miss the traditional atmosphere of Ramadan in Saudi Arabia, because the short duration of fast, the food delicacies and social interaction which have all disappeared since I arrived here.
     First, I miss the short time of fasting in Saudi Arabia. Muslims there fast only about thirteen hours. They have enough time to enjoy their meals. On the other hand, In the United States Muslims fast around eighteen or nineteen hours which is much longer than the fast in Saudi Arabia, because the geographic of the United States is different than my country.  Actually, when Muslims break their fast here, they just have seven hours to prepare for the next day. In these short hours, they cannot manage themselves to eat enough food, so they have digestion problems. They fill their stomachs excessively. Therefore, the longtime duration of fasting here affects me and reminds me always that I miss my homeland.
     In addition to fasting time, I also miss Ramadan’s special traditional dishes here in the United States. In Ramadan Muslims have two major meals which called Iftar Meal and Sahur Meal. After the sun sets they break their fast by Iftar meal which contains dates, Arabic coffee, water, salads, soups and juice. Then, in Sahur they eat a light meal such as yogurt, fruits, sandwiches, and plenty of water about half hour to one hour before dawn. Moreover, between these two meals they can eat variety of different sweet dishes like Konafah, Basboosa with cheese, Baklava, Qatayef and Luqaimat with honey. Also, they have main entries such as Kabsa which have lamb and rice, Macaroni with Béchamel salsa, Chicken Shawarma that contains hummus and pickle and Falafel sandwiches with Tahini. However, here in the U.S we just have the famous western fast food such as burgers with French fries, pizza or hotdog sandwiches. As a result, I miss the delicious Saudi special meals here in the U.S. But, I always try in Ramadan to cook these traditional dishes in my kitchen.
     Finally, I miss the social interaction in Saudi Arabia that is heightened in Ramadan. All the Saudis visit each other. Most of the families join to have the Iftar or Sahur together. They prepare big meals to feed all the family members. Also, the Muslims community can have their Iftar or Sahur jointly in mosques or parks. Saudi Arabia has a special flavor of harmony, because all the people unite in a wonderful climate and they feel Ramadan’s holiness. However, in America it’s very difficult to have this lovely atmosphere, because I’m far away from my family and my home.  

     All in all, I miss Ramadan in Saudi Arabia, which has a unique environment of the short fasting time, traditional foods and social life activates than United States. I get lost in translation here when I fast this special occasion far away from my family. Although I still enjoy my life here in the U.S. beside the nostalgia for my homeland. But, my focus now is to get my bachelor degree and finish all my studies successfully and return proudly to my family.

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about fasting. ! I have been rase with fasting culture since I was a baby. I do believe that fasting in one of the way to clean your body and mentally . I enjoyed your essay ! and of course the pictures and Baklava :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your stroy! From your stroy, I have learn about the fasting culture. Although I didn't understand the reason you change your way in US style, I still could have the same feeling that you have. Nothing is better that home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you explain everything about the ramadan and the fasting beautifully. I also miss the ramadan in Chicago. Because we also have the same things and we also celebrate ramadan with many many dishes, dates, but ALHAMDULLIAH we try to make fasting as much as we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From reading your essay I feel very excited to know about your country. I also like this tradition in your country. There are a lot of food during the festival,and people share their happiness together. However, I hope you can get your dream in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like your essay Saoul. i like the way you describe the fasting moment and the comparison about the length of fasting between the US and South Arabia. I have nostalgia about that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a interesting essay is this. I don't know about South Arabia and festival of Ramadan at all. You gave me a very nice knowledge to made me think about how nice country is South Arabia.

    ReplyDelete