Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Flaming Flowers



       The Chinese used gunpowder as a weapon earlier than any other country, but before the application of thermal weapons, gunpowder was used for medicine and religion. Medicine invented it and religion promoted it. Fireworks are the most important and the most brilliant use of gunpowder, and they have a lot of meanings for Chinese people. They represent the cultures, bring us happiness, and narrate our traditions. According to my memory, the custom of setting off fireworks and their significance has changed since I moved to the United States.


       Different from the United States’ laws, China doesn’t have so many rules about setting off fireworks. Actually, I never set off any fireworks in the United States. Most states forbid people to set off fireworks. The U.S. government is extremely sensitive after the September 11th attacks, so setting off fireworks is hard to be an individual behavior. Fireworks are classified as dangerous goods. It is ironic that the gun violence is one of the most serious problems for the United States; however, obtaining a gun is easier than getting a permit from the government to set off fireworks. Unlike the United States, I could set off fireworks any time I wanted in my hometown. Moreover, the folks in my hometown played with meand we all had fun. In the United States, people tend to watch the firework shows on TV instead of setting them off by themselves, so they lose a lot of fun from the process. Fireworks are symbols in China. People can make many communications with their family, and make some new friends in a flash. It’s a part of our lives, and nobody can forbid it.




       While there are fireworks in the U.S., there is a lack of choice compared to hundreds kinds of fireworks in China. There is only one kind of fireworks you can find on American television channels, which is huge and expensive. Also, it has many limits. For instance, setting it off in a wide and safe place requires a permit. Another problem is that there can’t be more than ten firework shows in each city every year. Fortunately, the Chinese have invented many kinds of fireworks. They are cheaper and easier to buy. Some of them only need a match, and then they can move like a snake on the ground. Others can swim under the water. Even a foreigner who is new to fireworks can find his fun after watching or trying.


        Finally, fireworks have their specific roles in China, which are not only for fun. People believe that the noises from the fireworks can drive the bad luck away. In Chinese Spring Festival, the whole country sets off fireworks to celebrate  the New Year and to welcome the new hope. In the U.S., fireworks are used for revelry. Fireworks also act as a signal in China that reminds people something happened or is going to happen. For example, at my brother’s wedding, I was the one who set off the long and continuous fireworks to announce the beginning of the dinner party. Everyone knew what the long and continuous noise means. Chinese have done that for thousands of years, so there is a tradition among us.
      Now that I am living in the United States, I have lost the chance of setting off fireworks, and even the traditions and relationships behind fireworks are lost. I know that immigrants will lose some of their customs in translation; this is inevitable. On the other hand, America is a melting pot, so maybe part of my culture can become a part of this new one. I wish that one day I will be allowed to set off fireworks in my back yard, and some of my friends will know what it means.

5 comments:

  1. That is the longest firework that i have ever seen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not the logest one I knew in China. Haha.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I also did't set off any fireworks in Chicago, and I really miss it. I have never forgotten how fun is it, and I want to set off the fireworks right now. Therefore, I will set off the fireworks one day in here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me remind of firework. In Korea, i can usually do fire work front of my home. However, in United states we can not do fire work at front of my home because it is illegal at here. I don't want to do set off the fire work i will just watch the fire work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of firework did you set off in Korea? I found that in July 4, the police doesn't care much if you set off the small fireworks.

      Delete