Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Challenges with American Dining


Hyung Gon Yun (Hugh)
ESL 100
9/29/2013
Final Draft/ Essay1

The Challenges with American Dining


I have noticed there are many differences of dinning styles around the world. This is especially true in the United States because people are so diverse, so people can experience many kinds of food and cultures. Coming from South Korea, the differences that I have experienced in America restaurant style are tremendous. I have been living in Chicago for about five years. Before I came to the United States, I had already known many differences regarding the food, the language, and the culture, but I didn’t know about American restaurant style. Eating out in Korea was very comfortable for me; however, I have had a hard time adapting to American restaurant style like food courses, dining etiquette, and tipping.

            In my experiences, most American restaurants have several courses, and many Americans like to drink wine during the meal. When I order food in an American restaurant, the server always ask me the same questions, such as drink, appetizer, soup, salad, main entrée and dessert. I know I do not have to order everything, but if I order American restaurant style, it is always same courses. Korean restaurants, in contrast, do not have food courses like American restaurants. When a person orders food, the server brings all the food at once. Most Korean restaurants only have entrées. In addition, I have seen many Americans drinking wine during the meal in the restaurant, but many Koreans do not drink wine or alcohol during the meal, and they drink water end of the meal. Even though I have been in the U.S. for almost five years, I still have a hard time adapting to American restaurant style.

            Dining etiquette has also presented some obstacles for me. In the U.S., there is specific dinning etiquette in the restaurant. For example, as soon as people sit down, it’s proper to put your napkin on your lap and the host should eat first. Do not make noise, and do not talk with food in your mouth. I can understand this kind of dining etiquette, but sometimes I forget them. However, in Korea it’s common for people to make some noise when they eat, people don’t have to put their own napkin on their lap, and people can talk with food in their mouth. I have hard time following American dining etiquette because when I eat food, I make noise. Especially when I eat hot soup and noodles, it is kind of loud.  I tried to fix this problem because my wife always gets angry at me during the dinner time. My wife is American and although she enjoys Korean dining culture, she always complains that my eating style is so rude. In Korea, I never had problems with dining etiquette. I always made noise when I ate food and talked with food in my mouth. Here in the U.S., I have to follow American dining etiquette or else people will think I’m rude.

            Tipping is a big part of American restaurant culture and this was a big change for me because I had never tipped in South Korea. At first, I hated tipping because I felt like I was wasting my money. I have learned that tipping is not mandatory in most of the United States, but it is expected in all restaurants. I have also heard that most servers do not earn a good salary from their restaurant owner, but they can make more money from tips. Thus, these days if I go to restaurants, I try to tip 15% to 20% depending on the service. If I have good service in the restaurant, I do not mind paying a good tip. However, if I didn’t get good service, I do not want to tip. These days if I go to a restaurant, I think more about restaurants service and food quality because I pay for the both.

            I really enjoy my life in the U.S. and I’m comfortable with most of the American culture that I have learned since I came here. The one area I still have a hard time adapting to is American restaurant style because of food courses, dining etiquette, and tipping culture. Eventually, I have gotten better at adapting to American restaurant style. If it wasn’t for this dining style with many courses, I wouldn’t get to enjoy dessert so often.


           

           

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your essay. It was fun. I understand the argument between you and your wife about dining etiquette. I understand you because I'm Korean, which means I know about Korean culture, and I understand your wife because I agree with her. It is true many Korean make noise when they are eating, but many Korean don't make noise too. When I have a lunch or dinner with my Korean friends, some friends make noise. I don't care that much, but I thinks it is kind of rude. I cannot tell them about their habits because I don't want to make them hurt. This topic is very sensitive, so I think only family or best friends can tell them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, I massed up your page. I made grammar mistakes, so I fixed them twice. Sorry again.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. You are right. Many Korean do not care about the noise while they were eating.

      Delete
  4. Your essay reminds me about my own dinning etiquette during I read it. I think we both have same dinning etiquette, or I might call it “dining style”. In my country, whenever I went out to a restaurant, I would order whatever foods I want. I don’t need to follow the meal courses such as appetizer, main course, than dessert. Additionally, we don’t have wine during our meal. It sounds quite expensive, I mean “high class” if we order wine. However, 90% people in my country, we will order beers for our meal. We really enjoy it. Also, speaking during our dinning is one of the cultural. We don’t keep silent or quite during meal. Contrary, we speak loudly sometimes, except if we go to some high class restaurants, absolutely we need to respect the atmosphere there. On the other hand, I agree with you about “tipping”. In my country, I will tip if I am satisfying with the service. Otherwise, I don’t need to. However, in America, we must to tip even sometimes we receive the bad service. I have been told the minimum to tip is from 15%-20%, 10% is unreasonable here. We are both immigrant, however, eventually we need to adapt with these cultures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can call Asian style. Tipping was really stressful for me because sometimes I did not get a good service, but I had to pay the tip.

      Delete
  5. HAHAHA. I think everyone had some kind of problems with dining in the U.S.A, especially in tipping part. I enjoyed your essay so much. I liked how you express yourself in the essay. I do have asian fiends and I had my korean ex boyfriend that we always had some issues when we were eating together because of the noise that he made while he was eating. I totally understand your emotions and every country has their own etiquette that we need to respect even tho it might be crazy sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there was "LIke" in this blog like FB, I would give(?) you "Like" It might be crazy sometimes :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you. You know about Korean eating style because you had experience with your ex Korean boyfriend.

      Delete
  6. Actually we have the same problem in tipping part. I didn't need to pay tips until I came to Chicago. I think paying tips isn't a problem for us, and it is easy to get used to it, but sometimes the service is bad, I really don't want to pay. Another aspect about the eating style, making noise does't allow in my home when we are eating and driking. Therefore, that is not a problem for me because I have done it well since I was a child. Lol...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How many percentage do you usually tip in the restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
  8. your essay was well developed. I have face same problem too when i first came to the US. the etiquette is so different from Togo too. in the US the employees in the restaurant respect more customers than my country. they take care of you like a king.that's why I don't have any problem to give tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I glad you feel that way.However, in South Korea if you go to any restaurants, you can get good service with out tipping.

      Delete
  9. I work in a Chinese restaurant, and I found that people like to talk when they go out for dinner, but they would speak in a low voice. People also think that drinking some wine is healthy. Nevertheless, I still unconformable with the alcohol on my dinner table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I have tried a wine at dinner table, but I did not like way they taste.

      Delete