Monday, October 7, 2013

Breathing Deeply

An Yamazaki
Final Draft

Breathing Deeply

I am a daydreamer. When I am tired or exhausted, I love thinking about what I cannot do now. If I had lots of money, I would go to Paris and walk the Avenue des Champs-Élysées. These kinds of daydreams help me get away from my hectic routine, but only when certain conditions are met. When I imagine these kinds of dreams, I have to be sequestered, peaceful and still. Since I moved to the United States from Japan, I have lost my favorite places to unwind- private hot springs, cozy Japanese teahouses, and still trains. I am no longer a daydreamer, which means I cannot relax anymore. It is difficult for me to find relaxing places in the United States because I think many Americans care less about other people in public places than Japanese. Due to this reason I have forgotten how to relax and relieve stress.





When I lived in Japan, I used to go to an Onsen (which means hot spring in Japanese) to relax at least once a season. When I get into a big hot spring bath, I can feel my body thank me. Onsen is one of my favorite places where I can relax. Chicago, however, has no hot springs. There is only one Korean style spa in Chicago, which is named King Spa. It helps me relax, yet it does not satisfy me as much as Onsen. This is because Onsen and King Spa are quite different. Onsen has a Rotenburo, which is an open-air bath. While I am taking a bath, I can see Mount Fuji, the highest mountain in Japan, and enjoy the beauty of nature. Furthermore, I can rent my private Rotenburo, so there is nobody else. It feels like I belong to nature. Those things make me calm and slow down so that I can have my own time. Nobody bothers me. Finally, I can daydream under the beautiful nature. On the other hand, in the United States, even though there is King Spa, there are too many people, so there is no space to have my own relaxed space.



I also used to be a tea drinker, but not anymore. In daily life, when I wanted to take a break, I used to drink a cup of tea at my favorite tea places. Even though the café would be at full capacity, the tea places are very quiet because the customers try to keep the place quiet. Usually, people come to the tea place by themselves to read. The place is not good to meet friends, but it is a perfect place to be alone and spend my time to relax. I used to read books, and when I got bored, I took my notebook and pen to write about my daydreaming. Another reason why I miss Japanese tea places is Japanese tea is not sweet at all. In fact, it is quite bitter. The bitterness makes me happy, and for some reason it reminds me of autumn in Korea, which is where I am originally from. Although there are many tea places and coffee places in Chicago, it is hard to find a place that is mellow and cozy. I can only find a Starbucks when I carve a cup of tea or coffee, but I am not a big fan of Starbucks because music is too loud, so I cannot have my own relaxing moment. In addition, some people talk very loudly like they are at a club. Also, I do not like big franchise businesses. Even though there are some restful and independent places, they do not satisfy me as much as Japanese tea places because American tea is too sweet for me. Drinking it is like drowning in sugar! I miss the owners who wear Kimonos and always greeted me with a smile.



Beside the teahouses, I loved taking the bus or the train to rest because while I was going somewhere, I was able to read books and do homework, or when I did not want to do anything I just stared through the windows and daydreamed as usual. The trains are not new in Japan, but they are extremely clean and neat. Most people respect other passengers, so they do not bother each other. Not bothering other people is a traditional policy of Japanese culture. When Japanese people get on the train, they never make phone calls. Moreover, it is commonsense to set your cell phone to vibration mode. The trains are an excellent place to make a bucket list. In contrast, the transportation system of Chicago, the CTA, is too dirty and loud. It seems like some people do not care about other passengers. Some people throw trash away on the trains or buses. In addition, some people make phone calls and listen to music without earphones. The noise drives me crazy. The trains and buses are not my favorite places to daydream anymore.





Since I left Japan and moved to Chicago, I have forgotten how to relax and I have suffered from nervous tension. I am not a daydreamer anymore. Even though I have more free time than when I was in Japan, I am not able to go to an Onsen in Chicago. Even though there are quite a few acceptable places, the atmosphere is different from where I used to go. Even though I am able to go to anywhere using the CTA, I prefer to drive a car. At the end of the day, I realized that finding my own places to be calm is very important because living in the United States as a foreigner can be tough. I have lived in Chicago for three years, so I think it is time for me to find new places to daydream.


11 comments:

  1. Can I go with you to Paris???!!! :p! First your tittle got my attention and I couldn't stop readying. I know exactly how you feel not having the time to relax. In this country is kid impossible. I liked your essay is really clear and I like the details on the essay. I liked the anime and kanji post .! Finally I hope that you can find a place that you can be a daydream .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great. Let's go to find a boyfriend! My husband will understand me. Thank you for your sweet compliments, and I am happy you liked the post. There are a lot of posts. The best one is:
      http://www.yoshio.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/321177_10150905637865187_906375186_21542941_1119307825_n.jpg

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your essay, I can see that you were really enjoy when you at Onsen Spa in Japan. You made me exciting too. Even though the spa in my country is also relaxing, but I think it is worse to compare with yours because you said that you can enjoy Mount Fuji. I think this was the best relaxation. Although I have never been to Onsen, but I can feel how much you enjoy there. I am not really love tea and rarely to go to the tea house. However, the coffee shop in my country might compare with your tea house I thought. Since a lot of coffee shops in mine, they have a very relaxing and quiet place for people who gather with friends, or even though just by your own. One of the fact when we are living in U.S., in my opinion, I think that it is difficult to find some places that we can really release our mind or body since the routine in here are rushing. People wakeup, go to work, then stay at home after work, and work again. Although for me just studying now, I could not find how to relax myself, vice versa, I feel stress instead. However, I hope that you can find your new place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really enjoyed Onsen, and I want to go to Onsen especially this season. When you have a chance, you should go. If you go to Hokkaido, north Island in Japan, you can take a open-bath with monkeys. I know you don't want to. They love Onsen too :) Sometime they are mean (they steal some stuff from human being's, but I think it is interesting. It's hard to live in another country. I hope you also find the places to relax :)

      Delete
  4. I am from South Korea, and I feel like Korea and the U.S have same noise because anywhere people make phone call with loud voice and talk to each other. Sometimes I feel stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!!!!! When I went back to Korea and took a train, I thought people were crazy! Making a phone call was ok, but taking a seat was crazy!

      Delete
  5. Hi,I like your essay. and I really love spa like Onsen. And I really impressed that i saw too many people in train but not much noise in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great. i like your essay you are a big dreamer person. You wrote a really good essay and explain every part of the life how to relax the mood and make dreams interesting. Why you think so much quietness make you relax, to me so much quietness make me uncomfortable sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, An, you know what, I finally find a girl have same habit like me! I am a big fans of hot spring which you call Onsen. Howver I have to give up my habit in the US and it is so difficult to explain what is hot spring to others. I miss my habit so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your essay. when I read it, I just imagine as if i were you. You know how to express yourself.

    ReplyDelete