Sunday, October 6, 2013

An American Dream in China


An American Dream in China

       In China, people always said, “All dreams can be easily achieved in America”. Thousands of people who lived in China wished to go to America ,and my father was one of those people. He decided to leave China when I was six years old. I always remember the excitement when he told me that going to America was his dream, and it was eventually became my dream. In China, people always compare everything between America and China, but especially, the currency. They thought that they could earn more money by changing dollars to RMB. In fact, they forgot to consider about other difficulties such as getting a job. Now, I have been living in America for years, but I found out that this is not my dream anymore. The life that I am living right now is not what I expected before I came here. I have left behind my culture, style of communication and social life that made my life good in China.  
                                     
        The celebration of major festivals is lost since I moved to America. Celebration of major festivals is a tradition in China. People come together and cook delicious food. Sometimes, we sit on the sofa and talk. Unfortunately, since I came to here, we haven’t celebrated any major Chinese holidays in my family. The reason is I don’t have many friends in America to come to our house to celebrate with us.  It just like the  mid Autumn holiday, I could not play lantern riddle with my old friends in China.  I want keep this tradition in America, but there are few people who want to celebrate. 
                                 
While missing celebrations is difficult, language has been even harder. I came to here without speaking any English. When I went to some places, I was afraid of speaking English to people. Also, I don’t understand the people who are talking to me. I just look like a stranger when I’m talking to American.  For example: if I ask about the directions to some place from people, they don’t understand me because of my wrong sentence structure and they will stare or laugh at me. From this point it made me feel embarrassed.  I dare to go to some place that I want to go. The best is I can talk simple sentences for ask where is supermarket. As time goes on, I think my English will become stronger, and I can get more friends. 
Even though, it is hard to have friends in America.  Many people who live here come from a different place, and they have different methods of communicating. The Chinese use Qq, and Americans use Facebook, or twitter. It is difficult to connect to my old friends in China, and it is expensive to make a long distance call. However, it also hard for me to find friends in America because of the language. In China, there are many fun places to go. Chinese like to stick with friends to go to eat, singing in kt v, and BBQ. Therefore , the life of entertainment is totally different in America. In America, there are tons of fun places or games to play, but for me it will be hard to mingle into the party.
                               
For now, life in U.S. is not what I expected before I came here. I left behind some traditions in China. It is hard to live in this new place because the language, celebration of major festival, and friends.  Nevertheless, I’m still trying to adapt this new world and  to achieve my dream even if it is hard. Time can change everything. I might lose some traditions that from my country, but I will keep the rest of  my traditions in the bottom of my heart. Hopefully, I will find my new life for the future. I wish to have a better life in America. 


   

1 comment:

  1. Tracy! I love your essay. In Korea, a lot of people think about all dream can be easily av chive in America. However, i don't think we can be easily success in Korea of China!

    ReplyDelete